After a very laborious trip to HD to return my 3/4" plywood and 1/2" Durock, I had everything I needed for the floor. We spent the day constructing the floor. This part wasn't all that difficult, just fairly tedious. The room isn't particularly square, so most of the time was spent ripping the big sheets for a good fit, and then measuring and marking for the plumbing fixtures. I also decided, for that little extra rigidity, to glue the floor to the joists. Plus I wasn't able to find 1" plywood, so I had to go with 2 layers of 1/2", with glue between that layer as well. I think this will actually work out better anyway, as it let me stagger the second layer to cover up the joints of the first layer and minimize and curling of the plywood at the edges.
So, after a long day of measuring, cutting, carrying plywood, and driving tons of screws, we now have subfloor. It's quite a change not to have to crawl around in the dirt and balance on the joists. And now I have even more room to make an even bigger mess with my tools and junk that accumulates :). And let's hope that I measured correctly for my plumbing, because the floor is in to stay :P.
Next up: Getting the tub framed in and secured in place. First order of business will be to frame the wall along the brick wall. This wall's purpose is to give me a place to put the electrical outlets, and give me a place to attach drywall and that side of the tub. In order to get this wall(this actually goes for most of the walls I'll be installing), I'll have some work to do on the ceiling area to make room for hte new top sills. Once this wall is in place, I'll bring in the tub, and measure for the third wall. The long dimension of the tub will be attached to the existing stud wall, one short dimension will be attached to the new wall along the brick, and the second short dimension of the tub will be attached to a new closet wall. I'm not confident enough of my measurements to preconstruct this closet wall without the tub being in place(even though my plumbing connections have already been set up..but i have a fair large "fudge factor" for those), so I think I'll wait until I can get the tub in to tell me exactly where to place the closet wall. Once that's in, I should be able to go ahead and plumb and test the tub. After that I complete the framing for the other 2 walls, then run the electrical, then the drywall, then the tile, and finally the fixtures. Oh, and also the crown moulding to cover up the huge mess I'm bound to make at the ceiling.
For some reason, I'm really exausted tonight, so we're taking the night off. I'm going to spend a little bit of time calibrating my miter saw since I'll be using it pretty heavily in the framing, and right now it's not making square cuts. Other than that, it's a rest night. Zzzzzzzz.....
Here are a few pics of the finished product so far:
Tub plumbing connection:
Sink/Toilet supply:
Toilet and main DWV stack:

No comments:
Post a Comment