The room is now wired. Everything went pretty much according to plan. I was able to use the bit of wire Allen gave me, plus some of the 12/3 I had left over from the garage to finish running all the wires. In the process, I found the old circuit for the bathroom(and I mean OLD), and completely removed all the old wiring. I removed it all the way to the panel, so that no one would be able to turn on a "dead end" circuit that just stopped somewhere in the attic. Now it's completely disconnected from the panel and all the wires removed.
Connecting everything was fairly easy. I decided to just connect everything and test it all. Surprisingly it worked the very first time. The fan switch works, the overhead light works, the vanity light switch works(and they're all oriented correctly), and all the outlets work. The only thing I have left to do is to install boxes for the 3 vanity lights. I tested that the wires supplying them work fine, I just have yet to mount the boxes. That'll involve putting the mirror in place, getting my wife to tell me where she wants them, then nailing a crossbrace in between the wall studs to which the boxes will be nailed. The light fixtures themselves will eventually be mounted to the boxes, after the drywall goes up.
We also had a little "scope creep". Now that the overhead fan/light switches are nice, new, pretty white, the other switch plate in the room, which controls the attic fans and the hallway light, looks wrong. It's a painted "brass" color, and the switches are either almond, or have just yellowed from age. They're very old. Sooooo, I get to rewire that switch tonight as well. Should be an easy fix, but those switches are ANCIENT, so lets hope I don't screw up the brittle wire when I'm wiring them. Then a coat of paint on the walls and that room should look nice. Of course the paint will have to wait until we're finished in the bathroom.
So, tonight will be spent mounting the vanity light boxes, and fixing the second switch in the hallway. Shouldn't take too long, and that's all I'm going to do tonight. I feel like I might be coming down with something...either that or I'm just tired...can't tell which. So, early to bed and maybe I'll feel better tomorrow...just in time to work on the tub :).
Also, sorry I don't have any pics...the room is still a mess from the wiring(insulation from the attic all OVER the place), and I was too tired last night to clean it up. Maybe I'll get some tonight when I finish.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment