Monday, October 16, 2006

Day 1 Summary

Added link section to the blog. Added a link to the smugmug picture gallery for easy access to the pictures.

Day 1 consisted mainly of preparation and demolition. Woke up and went to grab some food before getting started. Once again, we were disappointed(read ANNOYED) with the local coffee shop. Apparently Columbus was having a crafts fair downtown, bringing in quite a few people. The coffee place was pitifully unprepared for the extra business so we arrive to find NO food whatsoever, and a line 10 people long. Nevermind. This is not the first time we've walked out. Why do we keep going back!?

Here are a few before pics. Doesn't look so bad now that I'm looking back at them :P.








I started the demolition by working on the formica on the cabinets. Not too difficult to remove. We're planning on going with a pedestal sink and a chifferobe to give us a litte more floorspace in exchange for built-in cabinets. I had originally thought about trying to keep the cabinets intact, in case the next owner wants to put the cabinets back in. But it quickly became apparent that these were built in-place, and it wasn't possible to remove them without destroying them.


No more cabinets.


As you can see, I employed the "stream of consciousness" demolition technique. Whatever I happen to closest to is what I'm working on at the moment.

After getting the cabinets out, I decided to tackle the plumbing while a friend of ours worked on getting up the black and white tiles. In order to still be able to use the water in the house while doing the project I removed all the fixtures and capped the nasty old galvanized. Amazingly, all 5 connections were leak-free on the first try, wow! I think i'm going to end up removing ALL the old galvanized and replacing everything with copper. Should make the installation much simpler, and give us better pressure in the room, since the old galv stuff was insanely corroded. Saw some CPVC stuff at Home Despot also...looks interesting and cheap. Need to do some research to see if it's a viable option.

Taking up the "new" B&W tile exposed what I'm assuming is the original floor tile. It's actually this amazing 3/4" hexagonal marble tile. It's a shame that I have to remove it. I think if it was cleaned up and restored a little bit, it would look beautiful. Another issue with the floor is that the original tile was laid in a 2" bed of concrete. This stuff is going to be a big pain to remove. I'll think about that later :P.

Here's a shot of the original tile. Wish we could just use this, it's amazing.


The rest of Day 1 was spent haphazardly working on the floor, plaster walls, and the closet demolition. I think we made pretty good progress. Cabinets are out, toilet's out, only thing left to remove is the cast iron tub *gulp*. Had to stop at 7:30pm, since Auburn was playing Florida. Coming off of a loss to Arkansas, I had a pretty good feeling about this game. Tubberville has historically been good about rally the troops for the big game. Turns out, after a shaky first quarter, Auburn's defense rallies and throws down on Florida for the big upset. War Damn Eagle!

Here are some pics at the end of day 1:

No comments: