Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Tile is finished!

After a long hiatus, I finally was able to get back to work on the bathroom. This session went very smoothly. Last time, I had gotten all of the tile laid out and all the cuts made, with the exception of the one surrounding the toilet flange, a large circular cutout. I had destroyed about 5 tiles trying to use the tile nippers to cut the circle before I gave up and decided that just wasn't going to happen. I really didn't want to rent a tile saw just for one cut, so last week my wife took the tile to Lowe's where we bought them and they were able to make the cut for us. They did a really nice job too. Luckily they got it on the first try too, because that was the last tile in the 5 boxes we bought.

So this weekend I only had to set the tiles and then grout. Everything went off very smoothly. No surprises, no hassles. I set the tiles saturday morning which took about an hour from mixing the thinset to cleaning everything up. Then sunday morning I grouted, which didn't even take that long. I was glad that something worked out for a change...was getting sick of the nasty work(drywall).

Here's the result:









Not too shabby, we're both really pleased with the colors of both the tile and the grout(actually the grout will turn out quite a bit lighter...it's wet in these photos...will post pics when i get a chance).

Almost there!! This weekend I'll be installing the toilet and the sink. The room will be usable again, woohoo! After that, as time permits, we'll be completing the rest of the finish work. All that remains is to do some cleanup/scraping, patch some spots in the wall that I missed with drywall mud, probably one more coat of paint, and install the trim. We'll be finished soon!

No comments: