Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The girls had made quite a bit of progress on the moulding, so we decided to go ahead and start working on the trim. This mainly consisted of hanging the entry door, the window trim, and the closet trim. Of course, nothing was as simple as nailing the trim back onto the wall.

First, the window. The window was on the exterior wall, which, if you remember, is now 3.5 inches thicker(new stud wall) than it used to be. The window trim was nailed directly onto the brick and plaster exterior wall originally, so now something had to make up that new space. I decided I would fill the gap with some 1x pine and just paint it. Not too difficult. I basically had to rip the strips to width(thanks again, Allen...table saw), install some supports underneath so it didn't sink, nail the new pieces up, and finish with the trim. Turned out pretty nice. Here you can see the spacer material..it's the unfinished pine:



Next was the closet trim. Here I had a similar problem, in that when I hung the new door, I didn't space it properly in relation to the painted drywall, so I had a small gap to fill. Linda came up with a great idea to just use some of the plastic shoe moulding I was using for the baseboards...it fit perfectly! I forgot to take a detail shot of it, but you should be able to see it in this pic. It's the piece directly behind the face moulding, sandwiched between the door casing and the moulding. It's also, from this angle, the piece right behind the brass hinges.





The entry door was not as easy. I've tried to describe it before, but it's hard to verbalize. The door itself is not hung by any structural members...the casing is sandwiched between the interior and exterior pieces of moulding, and then the door hung from that. Needless to say, it was very difficult to get the door at the right height, plumb, and square at the same time. I fussed with it for a few hours, and after hanging the door, found out that it was far from perfect. There was a huge gap underneath the door, the door was cock-eyed in the frame, and because of this there was a large gap on the knob side of the door. It was just ugly. At the time I was very aggravated and didn't feel like messing with it anymore, so I was prepared to just leave it that way. But the next day, when I was out of town, Linda REHUNG THE DOOR! By herself! And she did an amazing job...I don't know how she did it, but when I got back the door was perfect. It met the floor at the correct height, it was square, and all the corners lined up perfectly. Amazing! Here's the result:








Next up, baseboards and crown moulding.

No comments: